Enclosure map project

Synehurst, Badsey

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.
enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photos: a6980 a7078 a7214

SYNEHURST

Synehurst is on land which used to belong to Aldington but which became part of Badsey in 1921. In 1815, at the time that the Badsey Enclosure Commissioners made their awards, it was determined that a new road should be built. This was constructed, running north from the Manor House across the fields known as Synehurst, to link with the main road from Evesham. The old main road to Evesham (along the present-day Old Post Office Lane) was stopped, thus shortening the journey by 420 yards. Two cottages owned by Edward Laugher (situated between the present-day Manor House and Oakleigh House) had to be demolished to accommodate the new road.

Development along the road did not start until the 20th century. The new, privately-owned houses which had been built in Badsey in the 1890s and early 20th century were insufficient to satisfy the needs of a rapidly growing population. More houses were needed and Badsey demanded its share of the Council Houses to be built under the provisions of the Housing and Town Planning Act of 1909. A scheme was proposed but had to be abandoned because of the war. In 1918, by which time urgent action was required, Charles Binyon was asked to press for 24 "cottages" to be constructed at Badsey. Plans progressed to build 24 semi-detached houses as a joint Badsey and Aldington scheme. The site, to be known as Synehurst after the old field name, was actually in Aldington parish, but a boundary change was enacted to bring it into Badsey. A few years later, a proposal that the two parishes should be merged was welcomed by Badsey but rejected by Aldington.

The present-day road runs from the northern end of the High Street, and then bears west when it reaches Bretforton Road. By July 1920, the first eight of the houses were occupied. There were 67 applications for the 24 council houses, so it was clear that more houses were required. At a later date, another 14 houses were built on the east side of the road. The numbers were changed to accommodate the new houses. The five blocks of semi-detached houses on the west side of Synehurst remained as numbers 1-10; the six blocks on the east side became numbers 11-22. Number 23 was omitted and numbers 24 to 38 were actually on the south side of Bretforton Road.

Initially, there was no pavement, just a green grass verge with a ditch running down into the stream. The familiar name in the village for Synehurst was The Pike, after the turnpike which had existed at the top of the road until the latter part of the 19th century. Chris Flanagan, who was born at 11 Synehurst in 1941, but then moved to Birmingham in 1945, gives a vivid description of regular visits to Badsey Pike. (See The Badsey Pike - A Fishy Tale by Chris Flanagan.)


View Larger Map

East Side – 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24; West Side – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 (Aldington Map Z007)

In 1807, at the time of the Aldington Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure owned by George Day. It amounted to 11a 3r 25p and comprised part of the land belonging to Aldington Farm, which had previously been owned by the Foley family for nearly 140 years. Thomas Foley of Witley had bought "all that Manor of Aldington alias Aunton, and all that farm called Aunton Farm now in the tenure of William Jarrett, gentleman" in 1665. This piece of land, together with the neighbouring field to the west, was known as Seaneys Ground, comprising 18a 3r 28p in total, and was sold by another Thomas Lord Foley in 1803 to John Procter for £760. Just over two years later, in February 1806, John Procter, sold the two fields to George Day (who had bought the remaining part of the Aldington Farm estate from the Foleys in 1805) for £1,365. On 6th October 1808, just two days after the Enclosure Awards, George Day sold the entire Aldington estate to James Ashwin of Bretforton, for £12,000. In 1815, a new main road to Evesham was built, cutting through the field. It is probably then that the eastern-most section was sold. By 1866, when Edward Wilson sold the land to the east, the eastern section was in the ownership of the Reverend Joseph Bourlay (the houses on the east side of Synehurst are situated on this piece of land). The rest of the field remained in the Ashwin family for the next hundred years, with the exception of a small piece of land (80 feet x 42 feet) which was donated by Richard Ashwin in the 1840s for the purpose of building a school (the present-day Royal British Legion building). In 1912, the land was sold as Lot 16, along with the rest of the Ashwin estate, by public auction on 10th June at The King’s Head Hotel, Evesham. The land, known as Corner Ground or Sinehurst, was bought by the tenant, Mr F Thould, who later sold it to Evesham District Rural Council.

West Side – Farmland east of brook (Aldington Map Z008)

In 1807, at the time of the Aldington Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure owned by George Day. It amounted to 6a 3r 4p and comprised part of the land belonging to Aldington Farm, which had previously been owned by the Foley family for nearly 140 years. Thomas Foley of Witley had bought "all that Manor of Aldington alias Aunton, and all that farm called Aunton Farm now in the tenure of William Jarrett, gentleman" in 1665. This piece of land, together with the neighbouring field to the east, was known as Seaneys Ground, comprising 18a 3r 28p in total, and was sold by another Thomas Lord Foley in 1803 to John Procter for £760. Just over two years later, in February 1806, John Procter, sold the two fields to George Day (who had bought the remaining part of the Aldington Farm estate from the Foleys in 1805) for £1,365. On 6th October 1808, just two days after the Enclosure Awards, George Day sold the entire Aldington estate to James Ashwin of Bretforton, for £12,000. It remained in the Ashwin family for the next hundred years. The land, called Green Sinehurst, was sold, along with the rest of the Ashwin estate, by public auction on 10th June 1912 at The King’s Head Hotel, Evesham, as Lot 15.

Interior Plan of Council Houses, 1921

List of buildings in 2001

See also the 'Council Housing in Badsey & Aldington' chapter in Aldington and Badsey: Villages in the Vale.

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 5 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.