Enclosure map project

Station Road, Blackminster

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.
enclosure map


At the junction with Birmingham Road


Victoria Cottage and Corner House


Bungalows on the S side including Fairview


The Tolkien Nurseries (Station Garden Nurseries)


Looking east towards Limetrees


Western House on Saintsoin Lane, the track that runs SW off Station Road

Photos taken 2006 & 2007. Aerial photos: a6927 a6935

STATION ROAD

This road was so-called because it was the road to Littleton & Badsey Station which opened in 1884. The course of the road was altered in the early 1850s in order to accommodate the railway.

There is evidence that the land in this area was occupied in Roman times. Arthur Savory, author of "Grain and Chaff from an English Manor", wrote about the Roman settlement.

North Side - Corner House, Victoria Cottage, Orchard House (Offenham Map 189)

In 1841, at the time of the Offenham Tithe Map, this plot of land belonged to Thomas Sheaf, who was also the tenant. It was a garden, used as pasture. It was still in the ownership of Thomas Sheaf in 1866 when the neighbouring land to the south was sold.

North Side – The Annexe, Station Garden Nurseries, Limetrees (Offenham Map 191)

In 1841, at the time of the Offenham Tithe Map, this plot of land belonged to Thomas Sheaf, who was also the tenant. It was called Quarry Ground, used as arable, and the value was £3 19s 9d. In the early 1850s, the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway was built over part of this land. In 1949, the land south of the railway became part of the parish of Badsey, whilst the northern part remained in Offenham.


View Larger Map

South Side – Western House, The Outlook, Orchard View, Bide a Wee, Fairview, Havenstone, Greenpatch, Elmar, Longridge (Offenham Map 188)

This land belonged, in the 18th century, to Francis Jones of Badsey. By his will of 1795, he gave all his estate at Blackminster to his nephew, Piercy Jones. Piercy Jones died in 1837 and, by his will, he granted life interests in his land at Offenham and Badsey to Esther and Alice Laugher (the younger spinster sisters of his brother Joseph’s first wife Elizabeth who had died in 1826). In 1841, at the time of the Offenham Tithe Map, Miss Esther Laugher was recorded as both owner and tenant. It was called Old Saintsoin Ground, used as arable, and the value was £3 17s 0d. Esther Laugher died in 1858, some 12 years after her sister, and the nieces and nephews of Piercy Jones (the five surviving children of the third marriage of Joseph Jones) were free to sell the land, which they did in September 1858 to Joseph Woodward, who was the estate manager for nearby estates owned by the Allies family, formerly in the ownership of the Reverend Thomas Williams. Joseph Woodward sold the land as Lot 4 at an auction at The Northwick Arms Hotel, Evesham, in 1866 to William Henry Ashwin of Bretforton. This piece of land was then known as Quar Ground. It remained in the Ashwin family until 1912 when it was sold at auction at The King’s Head Hotel, Evesham. Bungalows began to be built on the land in the 1930s. Western House and The Outlook were built in the latter part of the 20th century on a track leading in a south-westerly direction from the main Station Road.

South Side – The Bungalow, Arbour Vale, Morganest Site Office, Omega Nurseries (Offenham Map 171)

This land belonged, in the 18th century, to Francis Jones of Badsey. By his will of 1795, he gave all his estate at Blackminster to his nephew, Piercy Jones. Piercy Jones died in 1837 and, by his will, he granted life interests in his land at Offenham and Badsey to Esther and Alice Laugher (the younger spinster sisters of his brother Joseph’s first wife Elizabeth who had died in 1826). In 1841, at the time of the Offenham Tithe Map, Miss Esther Laugher was recorded as both owner and tenant. It was unnamed, used as arable, and the value was £4 12s 4d. In the early 1850s, the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway was built over the northern part. Esther Laugher died in 1858, some 12 years after her sister, and the nieces and nephews of Piercy Jones (the five surviving children of the third marriage of Joseph Jones) were free to sell the land, which they did in September 1858 to Joseph Woodward, who was the estate manager for nearby estates owned by the Allies family, formerly in the ownership of the Reverend Thomas Williams. Joseph Woodward sold the land as Lot 4 at an auction at The Northwick Arms Hotel, Evesham, in 1866 to William Henry Ashwin of Bretforton. This piece of land was then known as Blackminster Ground. It remained in the Ashwin family until 1912 when it was sold at auction at The King’s Head Hotel, Evesham.

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 7 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.