Enclosure map project

Seward Close, Badsey

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.
enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photo: a7225

SEWARD CLOSE

Seward Close is a small development of four detached houses (numbers 1-4) built on an infill plot of land off Seward Road about 2000. The entrances to numbers 1 and 2 Seward Close are actually on the east side of Seward Road. Here are details about the planning application for Seward Close (link to be added).

Seward Close is situated immediately behind the garden of Seward House, from which the name derives.


Seward Road, November 1977


View Larger Map

South Side – 1, 2, 3, 4 (Badsey Map G020)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to Joseph Jones. It was part of the garden of Burrows’ house and homestead and amounted to 1a 2r 18p. It was known as Burrows’ House because, until about 1800, it had been owned by Thomas and Susannah Burrows (née Seward), Susannah’s family having owned the house for a hundred years previously; but throughout most of the 19th century and through to the present day, the house has been known as Seward House. Joseph Jones sold this at auction, along with the majority of his other land and property, in 1831. It was bought by siblings Sarah, Mary and William Byrd who lived at the neighbouring house, The Poplars. The land passed by inheritance to their nephew, William Byrd (1841-1902). William Byrd got into financial difficulties and appeared in a debtors’ court in 1880; an Abstract of Title dated 1890 shows that William Smith, the Trustee, was entitled to all William Byrd’s land-holdings, and began to sell off the land. The foldyards and buildings (which included the barn) amounted to 0a 2r 12p. Seward House was bought in 1890 by William Baldwyn of Ashton under Hill. After his death in 1898, it passed by inheritance to his co-heiresses, Frances Baldwyn Smith and Ann Heavens Bamber, who then sold it to Julius Sladden (who had been tenant since 1879) for £1,430. The Ordnance Survey map of 1883 shows that the land nearest the brook, known as Lower Orchard, was no longer part of this property, but had combined with the neighbouring properties to the north to provide pasture of 3a 2r 11p and was sold separately.In 1907, the house passed out of Byrd ownership, being bought by the tenant, Julius Sladden. The Sladdens owned the house until 1985 when it was sold and became a nursing home. The land at the western end (on which the barn is situated) remained unsold. Whilst the barn remains in the Sladden family, the land to the south was sold in the late 1990s for the development of Seward Close.

 

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 7 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.