Enclosure map project

Old Post Office Lane, Badsey

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.
enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photos: a7072 a7074 a7081 a7127

OLD POST OFFICE LANE

Until 1815, this was the main road from Badsey to Evesham and was known as Evesham Road. At the time of the Badsey Enclosure, it was described as follows: "One public Carriage Road and Highway of the width of forty feet marked Number 2 on the said map leading in a Southwardly direction out of the said Turnpike Road over the Leys and from thence in a Westwardly direction of the width of thirty-five feet until it enters the Village of Badsey." It began at Bretforton Road (B4035), where the present-day numbers 1 and 2 Hither Green are located, proceeded in a southerly direction (following roughly the course the footpath now takes) and then turned westerly over the Leys into what is now the present-day Old Post Office Lane.

A number of houses and cottages dating back to the 17th century and earlier exist on the north side of the road. No further housing development occurred on the north side until the latter part of the 20th century. Blenheim Cottage, at the eastern end of the lane, was where the first Post Office in Badsey was situated in the 1890s. It was not a Post Office for very long, however, as a new Post Office was built in the High Street (opposite the church) in 1897, but the cottage changed use at a critical time in road naming. The road had previously been known as Old Road (to signify the old road to Evesham) but then became known as Old Post Office Lane in the early 20th century.

With the exception of number 14 Old Post Office Lane, which was built in the 1850s, all the housing on the south side dates from the first decade of the 20th century or the latter half of the 20th century. The houses in the road were given numbers from about 1960. The numbers run from 1-29 (no 13 or 28), but also include numbers 7A, 16A and 19A.

North Side - 1, 3 (Badsey Map G031)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to Samuel Shepherd. It was a house and homestead and amounted to 0a 1r 12p.

Old Post Office Lane
Old Post Office Lane in the 1920s

North Side - 5, 7, 7A (Badsey Map G032)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to Elizabeth Ballard. It was a house and homestead and amounted to 0a 3r 13p.

North Side - 9, 11, 15, 17, 17A (Badsey Map G033)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to the Reverend Thomas Williams. It was described as a cottage and garden and amounted to 0a 0r 32p. Most of the estate of the Reverend Williams passed by inheritance to the Allies family and was then subsequently sold to Joseph Woodward in 1864. However, when Woodward sold the estate in 1866, this did not form part of the sale, so it had obviously been sold at an earlier date. At various times during the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries, the original cottage has been added to, the most recent addition being number 17A in 2005.

See article 17 Old Post Office Lane.

North Side - 19, 19A, 21 (Badsey Map G034)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to the Reverend Thomas Williams. It was called Nightingale’s Orchard and amounted to 0a 2r 26p. Most of the estate of the Reverend Williams passed by inheritance to the Allies family and was then subsequently sold to Joseph Woodward in 1864. However, when Woodward sold the estate in 1866, this did not form part of the sale, so it had obviously been sold at an earlier date. A detached house (number 19) and two detached bungalows (numbers 19A & 21) were built on the land in the 1960s.

North Side - 23, 25 (Badsey Map G070)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to Richard Richardson. It was a house and garden and amounted to 0a 0r 27p.

North Side - 27, 29 (Badsey Map G069)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to William Wilson. It was a cottage and garden and amounted to 0a 1r 0p. William Wilson died in 1818 and it passed by inheritance to his son, William George Wilson. In 1842, William Junior sold this and all his other land to James Ashwin of Bretforton. Shortly after this, James Ashwin then sold the land to Edward Appelbee who lived at Harrington House. The cottage was sold as part of the Harrington House estate by the trustees of the will of Thomas Appelbee and his sister, Mrs William Gibbs (Edward Appelbee’s children), at a sale at the King’s Head Hotel, Evesham, on 6th July 1891. It was bought by Richard Pendlebury, and then passed to his daughter, Maud Newbury.


View Larger Map

South Side - 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 (Badsey Map G035)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to William Wilson. It was called Upper Orchard and amounted to 1a 0r 32p. William Wilson died in 1818 and it passed by inheritance to his son, William George Wilson. In 1842, William Junior sold this and all his other land to James Ashwin of Bretforton. Shortly after this, James Ashwin then sold the land to Edward Appelbee who lived opposite the orchard at Harrington House. Upper Orchard was sold as part of the Harrington House estate by the trustees of the will of Thomas Appelbee and his sister, Mrs William Gibbs (Edward Appelbee’s children), at a sale at the King’s Head Hotel, Evesham, on 6th July 1891. It was bought by Arthur Jones, who then sold it to Edward Johns in 1921 (the Johns family had been tenants since 1887). It remained in the Johns family until 1964 when it was sold for housing development.

South Side – 14 (Badsey Map G040)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to Elizabeth Mason. It was a garden and amounted to 0a 0r 8p. By the 1870s, the land and house was owned by John Phipps; it was willed to his daughter, Mary Ann Sheppard, on his death in 1894.

South Side - 16, 16A, 18 (Badsey Map W009)

In 1815, when the Badsey Enclosure Commissioners made their award, John Procter was awarded this piece of land as his first allotment: "Unto John Procter and his Heirs in lieu of the Commonable part of his estate and right of Common thereunto belonging purchased by him of and from Thomas Burrowes and Susannah his wife, All those six several Allotments next herein after awarded, that is to say, All that Allotment or parcel of Land situate in Badsey Green containing two acres, bounded on the East by an old Inclosure belonging to the said John Procter, on the South by the private carriage Road marked Number 9, on the West by old Inclosures belonging to the said Thomas Byrd, William Smith and others and on the North by the Evesham Road and an Allotment herein awarded to the said William Wilson. Whilst the Commissioners allotted this to John Procter in 1815, by 1831 it was in the ownership of Joseph Jones who sold this pasture land, along with neighbouring Townside Close at auction on 15th August. It was bought by siblings Sarah, William and Mary Byrd. The land passed by inheritance to their nephew, William Byrd (1841-1902). William Byrd got into financial difficulties and appeared in a debtors’ court in 1880; an Abstract of Title dated 1890 shows that William Smith, the Trustee, was entitled to all William Byrd’s land-holdings, and began to sell off the land. This field, now combined with the neighbouring plot to the east, was described as a Hovel Ground or Green of 6a 0r 11p and was used as pasture. The land was bought by William Hurd Adams. He retained the southern part of the land, on which he had built a terrace of cottages (South View on the present-day Brewers Lane), but then sold the northern section to James Brewer in 1897. The most northerly section of the field was sold to Henry Stewart on which a house (number 18 then called Gladstone Villa, but now called Lanesfield) was built in 1899. In 1899, the adjacent section to the south (1030 square yards) was sold to Joe Porter upon which he built a house called Rosebury Villa (present-day number 16); the name was changed to Chalcroft in the 1920s. Joe Porter then took the opportunity to buy the adjoining section (2438 square yards) in 1901. It had been sold in 1900 to Evesham builders, Harry Taylor and Arthur Cliff, but they defaulted on the mortgage and so the mortgagees, Thomas Bedenham and Henry Field, sold the land. Number 16A is a 1990s barn conversion of a building in the grounds of Chalcroft.

South Side - 20, 22, 24, 26 (Badsey Map G068)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to Joseph Jones. It was called Townside Close and amounted to 2a 3r 22p. Joseph Jones sold this at auction, along with the majority of his other land and property, in 1831. It was bought by siblings Sarah, William and Mary Byrd. The land passed by inheritance to their nephew, William Byrd (1841-1902). William Byrd got into financial difficulties and appeared in a debtors’ court in 1880; an Abstract of Title dated 1890 shows that William Smith, the Trustee, was entitled to all William Byrd’s land-holdings, and began to sell off the land. This field, now combined with the neighbouring plot to the west, was described as a Hovel Ground or Green of 6a 0r 11p and was used as pasture. The land was bought by the Brewer family and, very soon, housing began to be built on the land. A pair of semi-detached houses (numbers 22 and 23 called Orchard View) was built in 1899 and another pair (numbers 24 and 26 called West Lea) was built in 1903.


Old Post Office Lane looking west

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 7 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.