Enclosure map project

Manorside, Badsey

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.
enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photos: a7037 a7083

MANORSIDE

Manorside was built in 1987 as a development of 20 terraced houses (three terraces of eight, five and seven houses on three sides of a square) off the High Street; the front doors of numbers 1-8 are actually on the west side of High Street. The numbers are 1-21 with no number 13. Here are details about the planning application for Manorside (link to be added).

The road is so called because it adjoins the Manor House grounds and, indeed, was once part of the Manor House grounds when they were more extensive.

East Side 1, 2, 3 (Badsey Map G029)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this land was part of an old enclosure (0a 3r 11p), the Manor House, owned by Edward Wilson. On 23rd July 1866, Edward Wilson tried to sell the land and property at an auction at The Northwick Arms Hotel, Evesham. The Manor House remained unsold, however, and it was not until the 20th century that it was sold. At some time during the 19th century, a Coach House for the Manor was built on this plot. In 1951, the Coach House was converted into residential accommodation and became known as number 2 High Street. It was demolished in the summer of 1987 in order to make way for the development of Manorside.


View Larger Map

East Side 4, 5, 6, 7, 8; South Side - 9, 10, 11, 12, 14; West Side - 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 (Badsey Map G028)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to Edward Wilson. It was called Cherry Orchard and amounted to 4a 0r 15p. On 23rd July 1866, Edward Wilson tried to sell the orchard at an auction at The Northwick Arms Hotel, Evesham. It remained unsold, however, and it was not until the 20th century that it was sold.

See article The building of Manorside.

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 7 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.