Enclosure map project

The Lankets, Badsey

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.
enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photos: a7072 a7127

THE LANKETS

The Lankets is a private development of 22 houses (five detached houses, two semi-detached houses and 15 terraced houses), built in the late 1980s. In the 1990s, a bungalow was built in the back garden of Vine Lodge, High Street. The numbers are 1-23 (no number 13), with the odd numbers on the north side and the even numbers on the south side. Here are details about the planning application for The Lankets (link to be added).

The road-name derives from Langet which means a narrow strip of land. For older residents of the village, this was a confusing name, as the western end of Brewers Lane (from the High Street to the junction with Chapel Street) had been known in the first half of the 20th century as Lanket Lane.

North Side - 1, 3, 5; South Side – Garden Cottage, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 (Badsey Map G041)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to William Smith. It was part of the garden of his house (present-day Meadway House, formerly Vine Lodge, High Street) and homestead and amounted to 1a 0r 24p. The house was owned by John Phipps from about the 1870s until his death when it passed to his grandson, Owen Haines. A large amount of the orchard belonging to the house was sold in the latter part of the 20th century for housing development. This aerial photograph shows the location in the 1960s. A further piece of land was made available in the 1990s for the building of Garden Cottage.


View Larger Map

North Side – 7, 9, 11, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23; South Side – 18, two new houses being built autumn 2006, 20, 22 (Badsey Map W009)

In 1815, when the Badsey Enclosure Commissioners made their awards, this plot of land was awarded to John Procter as his first allotment: "Unto John Procter and his Heirs in lieu of the Commonable part of his estate and right of Common thereunto belonging purchased by him of and from Thomas Burrowes and Susannah his wife, All those six several Allotments next herein after awarded, that is to say, All that Allotment or parcel of Land situate in Badsey Green containing two acres, bounded on the East by an old Inclosure belonging to the said John Procter, on the South by the private carriage Road marked Number 9, on the West by old Inclosures belonging to the said Thomas Byrd, William Smith and others and on the North by the Evesham Road and an Allotment herein awarded to the said William Wilson." Whilst the Commissioners allotted this to John Procter in 1815, by 1831 it was in the ownership of Joseph Jones who sold this pasture land, along with neighbouring Townside Close at auction on 15th August. It was bought by siblings Sarah, William and Mary Byrd. The land passed by inheritance to their nephew, William Byrd (1841-1902). William Byrd got into financial difficulties and appeared in a debtors’ court in 1880; an Abstract of Title dated 1890 shows that William Smith, the Trustee, was entitled to all William Byrd’s land-holdings, and began to sell off the land. This field, now combined with the neighbouring plot to the east, was described as a Hovel Ground or Green of 6a 0r 11p and was used as pasture. It was bought by William Hurd Adams. He retained the southern part of the land, on which he had built a terrace of cottages (South View on the present-day Brewers Lane), but then sold the northern section to James Brewer in 1897, who in turn sold the land to Joe Porter. The land on which these houses are situated were once part of the grounds of Chalcroft, 16 Old Post Office Lane (originally called Rosebury Villa), which Joe Porter had built around the turn of the 20th century. In 1988, Frank Goldstraw, whose family had owned Chalcroft since 1956, retained the house but sold off the bulk of the land to Bovis Homes. A Dutch barn and the pre-school nursery which Pat Goldstraw had run from 1965-1987 were demolished and new houses soon began to appear. In the autumn of 2006 two housing corporation houses are being built just south of the footpath.

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 7 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.