Enclosure map project

Church End, Badsey

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.
enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photo: a7122

CHURCH END

Church End is a small development of four detached bungalows (numbers 1-4), built in the 1990s on land which used to belong to the house called The Firs (present-day Number 27 High Street). Here are details about the planning application for Church End (link to be added).

It is so called because it is a cul-de-sac situated to the south-east of the church. An aerial photograph (loaned by Chris Smith) of the plot of land on which Church End was built clearly shows what it looked like about 1960.


View Larger Map

Numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 (Badsey Map G054)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to William Collett. It comprised a house (The Firs, High Street) and amounted to 1a 0r 5p. It passed out of the Colletts’ hands in 1865, following the death of Mary Collett, when it was sold at public auction. The Firs was bought by Victor Cockerton in 1920; his grandson still lives in the house to this day. The eastern-most section of the plot was sold in the 1990s for the building of these bungalows.

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 7 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.