Enclosure map project

Chapel Lane, Aldington

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.
enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photo: a7154

CHAPEL LANE (Aldington Map part of Parcel No A)

In 1807, when the Aldington Enclosure Map was drawn, this road was the north-eastern extension of a very long road known as Pitwell Road. It was described thus: "One Public Carriage Road and Highway of the breadth of thirty feet branching out of the Turnpike Road leading from Bengworth to Littleton at or near Bowheadland Furlong and passing thence in an Eastward direction along its usual track through and over the said Common fields to the Village of Aldington and hereinafter called Pitwell Road." It ran from the current-day Offenham Road to the centre of Aldington; it then split, one branch going north along the current-day Chapel Lane and one branch going east along the current-day Mill Lane. By the end of the 19th century, this northern offshoot was known as Chapel Lane, after the chapel which had been built there in the 1870s. At the end of the lane there was a gate which led to the pastures.

In the latter part of the 19th century, Thomas Byrd, who owned the land on the east side of the road, asked Arthur Savory, the tenant farmer of the manorial land on the west side for permission to widen the road near the Nut Bush which was a well-known landmark, but this was not granted. Donald Wasley, who grew up in Aldington between the wars, gives an entertaining account of this request. See Letters from Don Wasley (1918 - 2000) and Roy Page about life in Badsey and Aldington.

At the entrance to the lane, on the eastern side, Ivy House, dating back to about the 18th century, was situated, together with farm buildings and a pair of old cottages; they were, until the late 19th century, the only development along this road. In the 1870s, a chapel was erected just past the farm buildings, and a pair of semi-detached cottages. Ivy House and the farm buildings were demolished about 1970 to make way for the development of a cul-de-sac known as The Hop Gardens, but the cottages, called Ivy Cottages, survived (one half being given the address of Chapel Lane, the other half being given the address of The Hop Gardens). The former chapel was converted into residential accommodation in 1981 and, in the 1990s, two detached residences, Ivy House and Ivy Farm House (named after the house which had been pulled down) were built to the north of the original site.


View Larger Map

The Old Chapel, 1 Chapel Cottages, 2 Chapel Cottages, Ivy House, Ivy Farm House (Aldington Map Z012)

In 1807, at the time of the Aldington Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure owned by Thomas Byrd. It amounted to 2a 3r 39p. In the 1870s, a chapel and a pair of semi-detached cottages was built on the western section of the plot. No further development occurred for over a hundred years until the building of Ivy House and Ivy Farm House in the 1990s.

1 Ivy Cottages (Aldington Map Z013)

In 1807, at the time of the Aldington Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure owned by Thomas Byrd. It amounted to 0a 2r 21p and comprised his residence, Ivy House, Ivy Cottage for his farm-workers, and farmyard buildings. The house, farm and cottages remained in the Byrd family until the early 1920s when a number of Byrd properties were sold after the death of Thomas Byrd (1836-1919), the grandson of the Thomas Byrd mentioned in the Award Schedules. The property was bought by John Byrd (no relation). Ivy House was demolished about 1970 and the land sold for development of The Hop Gardens, but Ivy Cottages were allowed to remain.


Aldington Chapel about 1905

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 7 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.