Enclosure map project

Binyon Close, Badsey

Badsey website home page

Roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington

Link to WCC GIS map
Click on the image above to see this road on the Worcestershire County Council GIS website with the digitised historical maps. Click on the image below to view the original enclosure map.
enclosure map

Photos taken 2006. Aerial photos: a7019 a7112

BINYON CLOSE

This private development of 23 bungalows (13 detached and 10 semi-detached) was built primarily in the 1960s. The numbers are 1-24 with no number 13. Numbers 22-24 Binyon Close, situated at the northern end of the cul-de-sac, were built in the 1980s. Here are details about the planning application for Binyon Close (link to be added).

The road was named after Charles Arthur Binyon, OBE (1874-1963), a Manager of Badsey School for over 60 years and Chairman for 30 years and a founder member of Littleton & Badsey Growers. The son of a clergyman, educated at St Paul’s School, London, and brother of the poet Laurence Binyon, Charles Binyon devoted his adult life to the welfare of Badsey. The area of land on which Binyon Close was built was the plot of land of which he was tenant for many years. It was some of the best market garden land in the village.

See Plan of Mr Binyon's garden 1933.


View Larger Map

East Side – 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24; West Side – 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 (Badsey Map G062)

In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to Joseph Jones. It was called Sand Close and amounted to 3a 3r 22p. Joseph Jones sold this at some stage during the 19th century to siblings Sarah, William and Mary Byrd. The land passed by inheritance to their nephew, William Byrd (1841-1902). William Byrd got into financial difficulties and appeared in a debtors’ court in 1880; an Abstract of Title dated 1890 shows that William Smith, the Trustee, was entitled to all William Byrd’s land-holdings, and began to sell off the land. This field, together with land to the east, now comprised a field of 16a 1r 20p called Sands and Harper’s Close. It was sold off as garden land and continued to be used as such until the 1960s.

Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.


Badsey is a large working village in Worcestershire, England. Aldington is a smaller village in the same parish. The Badsey Society exists to promote the understanding and study of the villages and the surrounding area. The Enclosure Map Project traces the development of the villages since the publication of enclosure maps in 1807 and 1812. The Society is grateful for a grant received from the Local Heritage Initiative.
Updated 7 July 2013. Email History@badsey.net.