Footpath: High Street (Monks Path) to Evesham
Photos taken 2006.
HIGH STREET, BADSEY (MONKS PATH), TO EVESHAM ABBEY
Grid Reference: 070434 to 066433
This path is shown on the Enclosure Map but is not mentioned in the Award Schedules. It is the path which was used by the monks to travel between The Seyne House, Badsey ("sick house") and Evesham Abbey and follows a line due west from Badsey. It exits the High Street on the southern boundary of the Manor House grounds, crosses Badsey Brook at a footbridge, crosses over land in Aldington on the boundary between land owned by John Jones and his brother Joseph Jones, then enters the parish of Bengeworth.
Here is a description of a walk along the path today. [LINK TO BE MADE AVAILABLE IN DUE COURSE.] The following paragraphs give an historical description of ownership of the land over which the path passes.
North Side, east of brook (Badsey Map G029 and G028)
In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, the land north of the path comprised two old enclosures owned by Edward Wilson: the Manor House (0a 3r 11p) and Cherry Orchard (4a 0r 15p). On 23rd July 1866, Edward Wilson tried to sell the the Manor House and Cherry Orchard at an auction at The Northwick Arms Hotel, Evesham. It remained unsold, however, and it was not until the 20th century that it was sold. In the 1940s and 1950s, when Harry Robinson owned the Manor House, a mink farm existed in the grounds adjoining the footpath.
South Side, east of brook (Badsey Map G027)
In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to Sarah Harrington. It was part of the garden of a house (present-day number 8 High Street) and homestead and amounted to 1a 1r 21p. Edward Appelbee acquired the house in the 1820s. Harrington House was sold by the trustees of the will of Thomas Appelbee and his sister, Mrs William Gibbs (Edward Appelbee’s children), at a sale at the King’s Head Hotel, Evesham, on 6th July 1891. It was bought by Arthur Jones, who then sold it to Edward Johns in 1921 (the Johns family had been tenants since 1887). It remained in the Johns family until 1965 when it was sold to Ernest Mustoe, Henry King and Harry Robinson, who intended to develop the site. The land nearest the brook was sold in 1968 to Branden Housing Industries Ltd which led to the building of houses on Seward Road.
North Side, west of brook (Aldington Map Z017)
This land, west of Badsey Brook, has been known since the early 20th century as Badsey Undergrounds or Under Badsey (a name which had been given in the 19th century and earlier only to the land to the south), but it was, at one time, known as Jarrett’s Piece or Ground after William Jarrett (1608-1681), the tenant in the mid 17th century. In 1807, at the time of the Aldington Enclosure Act, this field was called Jarrett’s Ground and amounted to 7a 3r 19p. John Jones had bought this field, and the larger field to the north, for £1128 in 1803 from Thomas, Lord Foley, Baron of Kidderminster, whose family had owned Aldington Farm and the manor of Aldington throughout the 18th century. The tenant in 1803 had been Edward Laugher and it was then referred to as Gerrards Piece, presumably a corruption of Jarrett. John’s brother, Joseph, bought the land to the south on the same day. In 1833, John Jones sold the land to his niece, Ann Collett (née Wheeler), the daughter of his sister Mary and the widow of John Collett. After her death in 1837, the land passed to William Collett, the half-brother of her husband John. After his death in 1850, the land passed at his bequest to Edward Appelbee. In 1877, Edward’s widow, Elizabeth Appelbee, and her son Thomas sold the land to John Pickup Lord and it became part of what was known as the Wickhamford estate (although it covered land in Badsey, Aldington and Bengeworth, as well as Wickhamford). It was put up for auction in 1930, with the tenant farmers being given the option to buy, this area of land forming Lot 28.
South Side, west of brook (Aldington Map Z018)
In 1807, at the time of the Aldington Enclosure Act, this plot of land was owned by Joseph Jones. The acreage amounted to 11a 1r 4p. Joseph Jones had bought the land (and the field immediately to the south) in 1803 from Thomas, Lord Foley, Baron of Kidderminster, who had owned Aldington Farm and the manor of Aldington throughout the 18th century; the tenant had then been Edward Laugher. It was then referred to as Under Badsey Ground, a name which still exists to this day. Joseph Jones mortgaged the land, from 1841 the mortgagee being William Collett; in 1848, William Collett took over the ownership. William Collett died in 1850. On 10th July 1865, at the Cross Keys Inn, Evesham, following the death of William Collett’s widow, Mary, the land was sold at public auction: "All those Two Valuable Closes of arable land, called the Under Badsey Grounds, containing 21a 3r 38p or thereabouts, situate in the hamlet of Aldington, in the parish of Badsey, and now in the occupation of Mrs Inglis. This land is of the highest quality, in a well-known gardening district, and adjoins the estates of Mr Darwin and Mr Lord, which with Badsey Brook and Badsey Lane, form the boundaries of the lot. Lying close to the Evesham Gardens, this excellent land can easily compete with the best of them for fertility, while it enjoys the advantage over the Evesham land of exemption from their local rates. These closes are watered by Badsey Brook, and have a belt of pasture against the side of the stream." Mary had left the land in her will to her nephews, Thomas Yardington Tovey and William Tovey of Church Lench, to sell as soon as was expedient after her death. It was bought by John Pickup Lord and became part of what was known as the Wickhamford estate (although it covered land in Badsey, Aldington and Bengeworth, as well as Wickhamford). It was put up for auction in 1930 as Lots 26 and 27, with the tenant farmers being given the option to buy. However, a plan of 1934 reveals that it was not sold and it was not until 1950 that this, and the remainder of the Wickhamford estate (amounting to 561 acres in total) was sold to Christ Church, Oxford, by John Arthur Lord and Frederick Maurice Lord, the grandsons of John Pickup Lord.
See also 'The Seyne House' chapter in Aldington and Badsey: Villages in the Vale.
Where they are available, links are provided to historical information about places and buildings. This index of roads and paths in Badsey and Aldington was compiled as part of the Badsey Society Enclosure Map Project. The house numbers and names are correct as at May 2006. Every care has been taken to provide accurate information, but if you are aware of any error, please contact us. If you wish to provide a history or memories of an individual house on this road, please email History@badsey.net.