Badsey Manor House
also known as The Seyne House
Badsey Manor House about 1911 after Wingfield had restored
it to an Elizabethan house.
The Benedictine monks of Evesham Abbey acquired the Seyne House at Badsey.
It was probably a single storey building. More about
the monks in the Seyne House.
After the dissolution of Evesham Abbey, Henry VIII sold the Seyne House
to the diplomat Sir Philip Hoby. He gave the house to his half brother
Richard Hoby who lived there with his family. More
about the Hoby family.
Richard Hoby had the Elizabethan house built, probably reusing some
of the walls of the Seyne House. Pevsner's
The Wilson family bought the house, together with the title of Lord
of the Manor. The family lived there for about 200 years. Wilson
The Wilson family made major changes to the front of the house giving
it a Georgian appearance by covering the timbering with a render and
removing the gables.
After the death of Edward Wilson, the house was sold to John Tutin Wingfield
who carried out major renovation work and partly restored its Elizabethan
appearance. Maypole dancing in 1911.
About 100 German prisoners of war were moved into the house to work
on the land. More about the German POWs.
The now derelict house was bought by Harry Robinson who restored it
and divided it into two houses. His family lived in the larger, south
side and he sold off the other side..
For more information see 'The Seyne House' chapter
in the book Aldington and Badsey: Villages
in the Vale published by the Badsey Society, 2009.
Updated 24 April 2012.
Contact email: editor@Badsey.net